This Saturday, February 3, 2018, marks the 20th annual Sacramento Museum Day.
With over 25 participating museums and destinations, along with local restaurants, it’s going to be an eventful day.
Sacramento Museum Day is presented by Sutter Health and sponsored by California Family Fitness. Local museums will be offering FREE or reduced admission to the community from 10am-5pm.
Many of the museums will be hosting hands-on activities for children, even those museums that you wouldn’t normally think of as kid friendly.
Some of the more popular kid-friendly Sacramento museums are:
California State Railroad Museum
Sacramento Children’s Museum
Powerhouse Science Discovery Museum
California Aerospace Museum
Fairytale Town and Sacramento Zoo will be offering half-priced admission
While these museums are fantastic and are sure to draw in a crowd, I’m hoping to visit some of the museums that are “off the beaten path” to enjoy some hands-on activities with my family. Here are five of our favorites:
1. California Automobile Museum: the auto museum will have classic cars on display and will have a special story-time for children at 11am and 12pm.
2. Sacramento History Museum: this museum will be offering interactive activities inside the museum, and gold panning adventures for kids outside of the museum.
3. The California Museum: the California Museum has a great interactive exhibit for kids on the top floor. When we visited, I was surprised at how long my children were engaged and learning about California’s history. This museum is also walking distance from the State Capitol where you can enjoy the beautiful gardens before entering into the State Capital museum.
4. Maidu Museum & Historic Site: this out-of-the-way museum has a great walking trail with interactive displays for children. They will also have activities and displays where kids grind acorns and create jewelry.
5. Roseville Utility Exploration Center: the Roseville Utility center will present a special “Bird and Bug Bonanza”, with interactive activities from 10am-2pm.
Join the “bug squad”, enjoy story time, explore a local habitat and build a bird house on this fun day.
Many of the museums are located within walking distance of one another, or are easily accessible via public transportation.
This year, in honor of the 20th anniversary, Sacramento Regional Transit is offering FREE rides on all buses and light rail with a printed SacRT Museum Day flyer (only one flyer is needed per family). Click here for a flyer.
Local restaurants will also be extending discounts to those who wear the Sacramento Museum Day Sticker.
Participating restaurants will be offering discounts include:
Danny’s Mini Donuts (900 2nd Street, Old Sacramento)
DISTRICT (1022 2nd Street, Old Sacramento)
Dos Coyotes (6450 Folsom Blvd. #101, Sacramento)
Evan’s Kitchen and Catering (855 57th Street, Sacramento)
Fat City Bar & Café (1001 Front Street, Old Sacramento)
Kampala Café inside Sacramento Zoo (3930 W. Land Park Drive, Sacramento) –MOD Pizza (Howe Bout Arden)
Railroad Fish & Chips (1100 Front Street, Old Sacramento)
Sactown Sports Bar & Grill (106 J Street, Old Sacramento)
Steamers Bakery & Cafe (101 K Street, Old Sacramento)
Ten22 (1022 2nd Street, Old Sacramento)
The Firehouse (1112 2nd Street, Old Sacramento)
So this Saturday, mark you calendar and plan out your day to visit one of our city’s top museums. Plan to arrive early and enjoy the day making memories and learning something new!
By Heather Crivellone
California State Railroad Museum
Maidu Museum and Historic Site